Coaching for Personal Development
How do you build a community of problem solvers? You develop them. To create an organization filled with problem solvers at all levels, leaders must deepen both their technical competencies in problem-solving and their social capabilities of how to effectively develop others to become confident problem solvers.
During this one-day highly interactive workshop, you will learn how to more effectively support the personal development of others through practice and discussion. You will be exposed to the application of a lean problem-solving process as a coaching framework, how research on habit formation and brain science is aligned with PDCA/A3 thinking, and fundamental coaching skills that will help you be more effective at developing others. The Personal Improvement A3 framework provides a structure for willing learners to identify their current condition and how their actions impact outcomes, uncover the root causes for their current habits, and develop a specific practice plan to get a little bit better every day. Using this framework, coaches can model effective lean leadership and coaching skills through catchball, and gain insights on how to best support their learner’s development.
At the end of this session, participants will be able to:
- Describe how to use the Personal Improvement A3 framework as a coaching process to support the development of new habits and behaviors.
- Explain the coach’s role throughout the Personal Improvement A3 process.
- Practice fundamental coaching skills such as asking effective questions.
- Recognize some essential lean leadership behaviors and habits.
- Identify their own personal improvement opportunities and create a personal practice plan using the Personal Improvement A3 thinking framework.
Schedule: 1-day (8:00 am – 4:00 pm)
Recommended Reading: Managing to Learn: Using the A3 Management Process by John Shook, Humble Inquiry: The Gentle Art of Asking Instead of Telling by Edgar H. Schein
Recommended Prerequisite Sessions: None
Who Should Attend: Clinical and nonclinical leaders across the healthcare industry